[llvm-dev] Pardon the newbie question

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 15 17:03:10 PDT 2021

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 4:57 PM pawel k. <pawel.kunio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is constructor homing this featurette where class di is emitted only for compunits with reference to constructor?

Yep - both Clang and GCC already do something equivalent for any type
with virtual functions - the debug info for that type is emitted only
where the vtable is emitted (so called "vtable homing") so it's not
without precedent. Yeah, it means potentially missing any type that
isn't constructed (types used only to hold a bunch of static members,
for instance) - but perhaps such a type isn't needed anyway. This
isn't done for types with trivial constructors - since they don't
generate code, etc.

>  Id speculate therell be problems with it as i understand the idea by now.

Certainly open to any critiques/bugs/etc. It's currently accessible
under -fuse-ctor-homing
https://www.mail-archive.com/cfe-commits@lists.llvm.org/msg218269.html

> Shared type table feels bit more complex on impl side fir merging etc but feels stronger.

Tradeoffs to be sure - anything that's shared during compile time's
not really usable in the build environment (massively distributed) I
support, but can work for others (like MSVC does). C++ modules (both
Clang Header Modules and C++20 standard modules) offer another way to
"home" debug info - since modules are then a first class build product
they can be used to home debug info quite reliably (template
instantiations may be duplicated - since they may be instantiated in
multiple unrelated places, but even then any module depending on a
module with an insntantiation need not re-do that instantiation).

- Dave