[llvm-dev] [RFC] [X86] Emit unaligned vector moves on avx machine with option control.

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 15 09:23:11 PDT 2021

I believe strongly that we should not add an option which makes it sound
like it makes unaligned access work, when we know for a fact that
optimization passes make use of the alignment information and will also
break such misaligned-object-using code. Worse, we also can predict that
even more such optimizations will be added in future versions of llvm, and
break such code more. Offering such an option which seems like it would do
what they want, but which doesn't actually, is a perfect recipe for
creating unhappy users.

That's why I've been saying over and over that *if* we do end up providing
some "make unaligned access work" option, it needs to make it *actually
work*, reliably, both now and in the future.