[llvm-dev] Incrementally compiling LLVM

Francesco Bertolaccini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 15 09:22:52 PDT 2021

On 15/04/2021 03:36, Stephen Neuendorffer wrote:
> This flow is being used successfully by both npcomp and circt, which are
> llvm incubator projects.  You should be able to leverage/build off of
> the github actions flows that they define.
> see https://github.com/llvm/circt <https://github.com/llvm/circt>
> and https://github.com/llvm/mlir-npcomp
> <https://github.com/llvm/mlir-npcomp>
>
> Steve

I have not yet tried the ccache solution mentioned before, but I tried
changing my flow to use the Visual Studio generator instead of Ninja,
like the linked projects do, and it still takes a long while to do a
recompilation, even though I just re-run the job
(https://github.com/frabert/llvm-project/runs/2354303561)

I am now wondering: does the fact that I am *not* enabling the host
target affect something? I am only interested in the Mips target so it's
the only one I enable, thinking it was going to speed up compilation,
but maybe I am not doing myself any favors?

Thanks to everyone so far, I am going to try ccache next

Francesco