[llvm-dev] inttoptr and noalias returns

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 15 03:37:25 PDT 2021

You're right that LLVM is very conservative in handling inttoptr. And
otherwise relies on the incorrect transformation "inttoptr(ptrtoint(x)) ->
x" to get rid of inttoptr.

I agree the store should have been removed in your second example. I guess
inttoptr is not frequently used, and even less after a bunch of fixes to
prevent optimizers from creating new ones.

BasicAA is quite basic, but that's all LLVM has. The other alias analyses in
git are either not useful in practice, unfinished or buggy. (I haven't
looked into that dir in a couple of years, so things may have changed in the
meantime).

A big issue with LLVM's static analysis is caching, since everything is done
lazily. If you want to add something more expensive to BasicAA, you need to
make sure that information is cached somehow to avoid recomputing it a
thousand times. Compilation time is quite sensitive to the performance of
BasicAA.

Although there's no definitive semantics for pointer comparisons yet
(soonish I hope), LLVM's behavior implies that pointer comparisons indeed
escape pointers just like ptrtoint does (except if the two pointers being
compared are inbounds and point to the same object, and therefore the
comparison is only around offsets and thus their address doesn't leak).

Nuno