[llvm-dev] Eliminating global memory roots (or not) to help leak checkers

Fangrui Song via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 14 15:22:39 PDT 2021

The motivation in https://reviews.llvm.org/D69428 was a function pointer
example. A function pointer should not point to an allocated object, so
ignoring it for root-set semantics is totally fine.

D69428 extended the function pointer cases to non-function-pointer
cases, which can be problematic.

On 2021-04-14, Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev wrote:
>Most (all?) leak checkers support suppression files. Isn’t that sufficient for your use case?

>Marking your leak roots with __attribute((used))__ is also an alternative.
>

>I understand that leaking memory on purpose happens because it’s expensive to clean it up. But reachable memory may well be a true leak. So flagging it as such is useful. None of us has data about the % of reachable memory that is a true leak, so it’s not possible to argue what’s user friendly/hostile.

As is, many code patterns in various projects can be affected by the
aggressive optimization. They may use a global pointer referencing an
allocated object as a replacement for a global variable with a
non-trivial destructor ([[clang::no_destroy]] :). Dynamic destruction is
not ordered across translation units, this can lead to all sorts of
static finalization order fiasco problems.  If there are threads not
joined at exit time, some threads may access objects which have been
destructed.

In addition, the leak checker may be registered as an atexit callback
instead of running after all destructors have run.
If the leak checker is registered by atexit, normally it runs before
destructors. Even if you have sophisticated destructors which deallocate
objects properly, if you ignore them as roots, the checker will report
false positives.