[llvm-dev] Incrementally compiling LLVM

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 14 12:18:52 PDT 2021

Sounds like something's going wrong for sure. How are you measuring
the time? (how much time is it taking) and what are you testing by
"partial recompilation"? Touching an ADT .h file is likely to
recompile nearly everything so might not be much better than a clean
build - but touching a .cpp file (especially a .cpp file for a single
tool, rather than a library) might be quite quick. So try timing a
full clean build (ninja -t clean, ninja clang) and then incrementally
touching just a .cpp file (eg: clang/tools/driver/driver.cpp  ) and
see how they compare