[llvm-dev] Loop pragma for hardware loops

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 13 06:15:06 PDT 2021

Hello Janek,

It looks like you would like to steer which hardwareloop form will be generated with a pragma by providing very detailed target information, but I think a more typical use case of pragmas is to override the cost-model or a transformation threshold/argument. In this case, I would have guessed that the idea of the new pragma is it takes precedence over TTI's isHardwareLoopProfitable hook, and thus would probably have expected something as simple as "hwloop(enable|disable)" initially. If you would like to bring a hardwareloop into a more efficient form, then I think that's mainly the responsibility of the hardwareloop pass or a backend pass (see e.g. the ARM backend passes). I think option 1 is a non-starter as it exposes all sorts of internals that we don't want for different reasons, so option 2 looks a lot better but is still very specific.

Cheers,
Sjoerd.