[llvm-dev] TableGen pseudo lowering

Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 26 00:34:41 PDT 2020

Paul,

Absolutely. This may reduce the amount of hand-written code for
pseudo-expansion in the backends in general. However, there are
caveats as in many cases additional properties need to be transferred
as well and "splitted" between these instructions. I don't have a good
solution for this.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 7:48 PM Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> The TableGen PseudoLoweringEmitter backend is responsible for lowering pseudo-instructions to real machine instructions. In the code is this comment:
>
> // FIXME: This pass currently can only expand a pseudo to a single instruction.
> //        The pseudo expansion really should take a list of dags, not just
> //        a single dag, so we can do fancier things.
>
> Does anyone think that enhancing it to expand to multiple instructions is worth the effort?

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University