[llvm-dev] ORC JIT - Can modules independently managed with one LLJIT instance? + problems with ExecutionSession.lookup

Gaier, Bjoern via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 24 22:50:32 PDT 2020

Hi Lang,

I think I start to get an idea how we could use LLVM in our system… so I try repeating what I understood:
> Searches follow the containing JITDylib's Link Order. E.g.

> auto &LibA = ExitOnErr(LLJIT.getExecutionSession().createJITDylib("LibA"));
> auto &LibB = ExitOnErr(LLJIT.getExecutionSession().createJITDylib("LibB"));
> LibA.addToLinkOrder(LibB); // Add LibB to LibA's search order.

That means – when I don’t add LibB to LibA, that this one will not be searched right?
However… when I add LibB to LibA and now I add LibA to LibC – will LibC also search LibB?

LibA.addToLinkOrder(LibB);
LibC.addToLinkOrder(LibA);

---------

> A. Rename variables/functions at the IR level or higher. E.g. Rename 'test' to 'Planschi_test' in IR. This is probably the simplest scheme if your use-case allows.

In my case this would mean… I rename “Planschi_test” to “test” and would add the “LibPlanschi” to my LinkOrder – however. What if my new Module also defines a variable “test”? Wouldn’t this cause trouble?

> B. Use a DefinitionGenerator and the re-exports utility: When you see an external reference to M_N you would create a re-export of N -> (JITDylibForM, N). This is ok, but you'll need to manage extra JITDylibs to ensure that no two JITDylibs end up containing a duplicate definition (e.g. 'test').
How would that work? Wouldn’t I fail the linking then?

> Definition generators are the solution to this. You can get the address of symbols defined by Module A while A still contains undefined external references, however definitions for those undefined external references must be supplied by a definition generator or Module A will immediately fail linking.
I would like to use the definition generator, because this is what I tried in the past (and aligns a bit more with our old loader). This is the call to ExecutionSession.lookup right? However this only worked when I was able to provide those addresses. I have no problem to fail the linking if I have a chance to do it again in a second or third or… call. However, when I tried this it seemed like I only got one chance. The “tyrToGenerate” function was only called in my first call to lookup, which failed linking cause I couldn’t provide an address.
So is there any chance to get back at linking or kinda…. Restarting it?
Our architecture allows that a module which is referenced by another module might appear a bit lit, which means that the code has to wait until the other one is present.

Still so many questions… Sorry! The thing is, everything works so fine when all those symbols are present, but when they aren’t I run into various troubles. However our architecture basically allows to throw modules at the system and keep nagging it until they are all resolved, while having the addresses for all the symbols inside the module already present, which is why the IR approach is kiiinda difficult for me :/

Thank you again and again Lang!

Kind greetings
Björn