[llvm-dev] [RFC][LLVM] New Constant type for representing function PLT entries

Leonard Chan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 22 13:55:57 PDT 2020

I see. So we can extend this to accept global constant variables. On
platforms that support it, we can lower to a GOT reference. I'm not sure
what a generic case could be for other targets, but I guess we could
explicitly leave it to the backend to decide by using the `VK_GOTPCREL`
variant kind (`MCSymbolRefExpr::create(Symbol,
MCSymbolRefExpr::VK_GOTPCREL, Ctx)`), which in the end may even use a GOT
reference. I think this should still respect having a link-time constant
offset and represent an insignificant address.

Using `dso_local_equivalent` sounds like a good idea. It looks like this
could also be used by the RTTI component for the vtable. Right now the
relative vtables ABI uses a proxy dso_local global for the RTTI component
that just points to the original RTTI global, but accessing that global
requires an extra indirection. For now I'd like to just implement support
for functions, but can work on global constants afterwards.