[llvm-dev] [MTE] Globals Tagging - Discussion

David Spickett via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 18 04:10:25 PDT 2020

Hi Mitch,

In the intro you say:
> It would also allow attackers with a semilinear RW primitive to trivially attack global variables if the offset is controllable. Dynamic global tags are required to provide the same MTE mitigation guarantees that are afforded to stack and heap memory.

Then later:
> b) Hidden Symbols (static int g; or -fvisibility=hidden)
> Materialization of hidden symbols now fetch and insert the memory tag via. `ldg`. On aarch64, this means non PC-relative loads/stores/address-taken (*g = 7;) generates:
>  adrp x0, g;
>  ldg x0, [x0, :lo12:g]; // new instruction
>  mov x1, #7;
>  str x1, [x0, :lo12:g];

Does the tagging of these hidden symbols only protect against RW
primitives without a similar ldg? If I knew the address of the hidden
symbol I could presumably use the same sequence, but I think I'm
stretching what memory tagging is supposed to protect against. Mostly
wanted to check I understood.

Speaking of understanding...

> Introduce a TAGGED_RELATIVE relocation - in order to solve the problem where the tag derivation shouldn't be from the relocation result, e.g.
> static int array[16] = {};
> // array_end must have the same tag as array[]. array_end is out of
> // bounds w.r.t. array, and may point to a completely different global.
> int *array_end = &array[16];

Does this mean that the value of array_end must have the same tag as
array[]. Then &array_end would have a different tag since it's a
different global?

For example you might assign tag 1 to array, then tag 2 to array_end.
Which means that array_end has a tag of 2 and so does array[16].
(assuming they're sequential)
|            array            | array_end/array[16] |
| < 1> <1> <1> <1>  |            <2>               |

So if we just did a RELATIVE relocation then array_end's value would
have a tag of 2, so you couldn't do:
for (int* ptr=array; ptr != array_end; ++ptr)
Since it's always != due to the tags.

Do I have that right?

Also, if you have this same example but the array got rounded up to
the nearest granule e.g. (4 byte ints, 16 byte granules)
int array[3]; // rounded up to be array[4]
int* array_end = array[3];

Would you emit a normal RELATIVE relocation for array_end, because
it's within the bounds of the rounded up array. Or a TAGGED_RELATIVE
relocation because it's out of bounds of the original size of the
array?
(I don't think doing the former is a problem but I'm not a linker expert)

Thanks,
David Spickett.