[llvm-dev] Timeout tests timing out

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 16 22:23:56 PDT 2020

I appreciate the value of the feature - but it's possible the test
doesn't pull its weight. Is the code that implements the feature
liable to failure/often touched? If it's pretty static/failure is
unlikely, possibly the time and flaky failures aren't worth the value
of possibly catching a low-chance bug.

Another option might be to reduce how often/in which configurations
the test is run - LLVM_ENABLE_EXPENSIVE_CHECKS presumably only works
for code within LLVM itself, and not test cases - but maybe I'm wrong
there & this parameter could be used (& then the timing bumped up
quite a bit to try to make it much more reliable), or something
similar could be implemented at the lit check level?

Ah, compiler-rt tests use EXPENSIVE_CHECKS to disable certain tests:

./compiler-rt/test/lit.common.configured.in:set_default("expensive_checks",
@LLVM_ENABLE_EXPENSIVE_CHECKS_PYBOOL@)
./compiler-rt/test/fuzzer/large.test:UNSUPPORTED: expensive_checks

Could you bump the timeouts a fair bit and disable the tests except
under expensive checks?