[llvm-dev] OrcV1 removal

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 16 14:53:44 PDT 2020

Hi Andres,

Cool!I assume this works on "non-native" jitlink platforms as well? Or
> just mach?

This framework is totally materializer agnostic -- It works for
ObjectLinkingLayer (JITLink), RTDyldObjectLinkingLayer (RuntimeDyld), and
even materializers that aren't emitted via a linker (e.g. stubs and
callbacks).

 Looks like there's not yet a C API yet - not a problem, just checking.

No C API yet, but I'll add one as soon as the C++ API settles down
(probably in a week or so).

Currently it looks like only the main jit dylib is exposed via C, right?
We can't really do the same for resource trackers, if I understand this
correctly. Sketching out what I'd need to do to test postgres, so I
don't waste time going in the wrong direction:

Currently it looks like only the main jit dylib is exposed via C, right?

That was true -- I just hadn't gotten around to it. Your question seems as
good an excuse as any to take a minute out and do that, so I've added them
in 9a0d1b66730. :)

We can't really do the same for resource trackers, if I understand this
> correctly. Sketching out what I'd need to do to test postgres, so I
> don't waste time going in the wrong direction:

1) Add API for management (create, destroy) a non-default resource tracker
>    (i.e. JITDylib::createResourceTracker)
> 3) Add JITDylib::clear() wrapper
> 2) LLVMOrcLLJITAdd{LLVMIRModule,ObjectFile} would need a new argument
>    (defaulting to NULL for the default resource tracker?) to specify the
>    resource tracker
> 4) LLJIT would need to grow the underlying support methods

That's all spot-on. It should not require much code either: Both the C API
and LLJIT itself are pretty thin wrappers around the core APIs -- each of
these wrappers should just be a few lines.

I assume it is not legal to use the same resource tracker with two
> different JITDylib's?

That's correct -- ResourceTrackers are bound to the JITDylib they're
created from. They should assert if you use them with the wrong JITDylib,
though I'm not sure how good the coverage on those asserts are yet.

I think this system could be generalized to enable cross-dylib tracking at
the cost of a few dozen extra bytes per tracker. Do you have a use-case for
this?

Regards,
Lang.