[llvm-dev] spill to register not stack?

Bagel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 9 10:30:33 PDT 2020

Given an architecture with two classes of registers: A is general purpose and
has an "adequate" number of registers, and C which is special purpose and has
very few (e.g. one) register.  There are cheap instructions that directly copy
from C to A and vice versa.

If we need another C register and they are all live, we need to spill one.
Currently as far as I can tell, the only way to do that is spill to the stack.
Is there a knob I can turn to get the spill from C to go to an A register?

Thanks,
brian