[llvm-dev] LTO'd / PGO'd Pre-built Release Binary

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 7 07:10:39 PDT 2020

> I emailed llvm-dev a while ago suggesting that we at least turn on LTO.

Ah, sorry, missed that. Otherwise I would have replied to/revived that thread.

> I really didn't get much feedback on that unfortunately, I think most people get clang via their distro or compile it themselves.

Well, that's what I was wondering, wasn't sure if it is worth doing....but I guess we upload these binaries for a reason and guess these binaries are picked up by some people? Even if not, it would be good to set an example (and for testing)?

> I think the most complicated part is that the release testers are the one responsible for building the final binaries and there is a lot of different systems that might require some tweaking.

Oh yeah, definitely. I see that it's easy to suggest this, and that it's a lot of work for the people who have to do this.

Cheers.