[llvm-dev] Intel AMX programming model discussion.

Luo, Yuanke via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 4 01:37:21 PDT 2020

Hi Hal,
Thank you for the ideas that help us to improve the design, and sorry for replying late. There is something I am not able to figure out and there some special trait for tile RA.

1.       X86RegisterInfo::getRegAllocationHints can tell RA which physical register is preferred, but it can't force RA to just allocate the hinted register. If the hinted register is not meet, RA would allocate other register.

2.       The shape information should be attached to each virtual register and physical register which is allocated. How to store and get the shape information with limited code change on existing RA? When a tile register is spilled, the shape should also be bound the corresponding spill stack slot, so that it can be assigned the physical tile register with the same shape.

3.       There is no mov/copy instruction for tile register. To copy tile register, we need to store the tile register to memory and load the data from memory to another register. So a lot of code for live interval split in Greedy RA is unnecessary for tile register allocation.

4.       Compiler can support register spill, but spill should be avoided for performance benefit. We prefer reporting warning on register spill, so that user can realize it and adjust their code to avoid register spill.

If there is no easy way to take the advantage of current RA infrastructure, there are some pros to have a separate RA for tile register.

1.       We can limit the risk to break RA for general register on each arch. If there are some bugs on tile RA, only application that use AMX is affected.

2.       We can customize the special trait (config, spilt, spill) of tile register in the sperate RA more freely.

For RegAllocFast, I agree with you. Each region of register is small, and since the performance is not the first priority, we can insert multiply config for each small region.
As you recommend looking at the PBQP solver, I'll take some time to investigate it and go back to you.

Thanks
-Yuanke