[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Can we remove llvmbb from IRC?

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 1 12:18:32 PDT 2020

Hi,

> On Sep 1, 2020, at 20:10, Serge Guelton via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Nico,
>
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 03:07:37PM -0400, Nico Weber via cfe-dev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> llvmbb's job is to inform people of build breaks. However, it seems to trigger
>> for a big list of bots, and at least one of them seems to always be broken, and
>> the broken bots tend to have cycle times of several hours. So if you're on IRC
>> and you commit something, you get pinged by llvmbb for hours afterwards.
>>
>> Does anyone think llvmbb is useful?
>>
>> The best thing about llvmbb I've heard it's easy to just "/ignore llvmbb", but
>> if that's what everybody does then why not not have it in the first place?
>
> I find it useful to /ignore llvmbb it *and* /join #llvm-build

That’s great, I wasn’t aware of the #llvm-build channel.

If we already have a dedicated #llvm-build channel, IMO it would make sense to remove llvmbb from the main channel, to cut down on the noise. It does not seem to add much because the false-positive rate is high and people who are interested can use #llvm-build.

Cheers,
Florian