[llvm-dev] Contributing Bazel BUILD files similar to gn

Neil Nelson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 22:39:44 PDT 2020

Some good remarks Stella.

What does /second tier/ mean?

There are additional directories in the LLVM download such as flang,
compiler-rt, openmp, but these do not seem to be second-tier though
there may be a sense in which they are.

Is the idea of second-tier that there will be additional directories or
programs embedded in the existing LLVM directories not available for use
to those without bazel? If that is the case, then what is the relevance
of those contributions?

It seems we are saying that if a contribution is relevant then either it
is in the cmake build, making bazel superfluous to obtain a build, or it
is in a bazel-only build. A cmake build would be required for the parts
we have now and then an additional bazel build for the second-tier parts.

There is talk of gn. I am not seeing gn installed here but am not aware
it is required. Is it the case that whatever gn does, cmake does, or is
it the case there is a necessary gn build sequence in LLVM somewhere?

Neil Nelson