[llvm-dev] Contributing Bazel BUILD files similar to gn

Stefan Teleman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 18:27:52 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 9:12 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Instead of maintaining
>> this impenetrable mystery as to why a Bazel build system should be
>> included in LLVM, please take the time to advocate for Bazel with
>> technical facts, than "someone at Google really likes it".
>

> That's the technical facts though: A variety of other projects with LLVM as a dependency use Bazel, for whatever their reasons, and are currently maintaining Bazel build files out of tree and it would be easier for them to coordinate in-tree instead.

I fail to see how any of these are technical facts. Whatever "variety
of other projects with LLVM as a dependency" choose to use for their
build system is their business.

Let's be a bit more precise here: this "variety of other projects with
LLVM as a dependency" aren't just random projects off the Internet.
These are all Google projects. Correct?

So, in final analysis, this has nothing to do with Bazel's technical
merits. It has everything to do with "It's convenient for Google".
Regardless of whether the larger LLVM community agrees with the idea,
or not. Which, so far, it does not seem to me that it has.

Thanks for clarifying.

--
Stefan Teleman
stefan.teleman at gmail.com