[llvm-dev] Contributing Bazel BUILD files similar to gn

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 18:02:59 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:50 PM Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

(side note: Chris: There's /something/ about your emails that isn't
threading in gmail at least - not sure if it's something you're aware
of/something you can do anything about, but figured I'd mention (hmm, looks
like they thread correctly on the llvm-dev archive, so the headers are
probably correct - the subject lines look the same, so I really don't know
what gmail's doing with them))

I think this argument is the slippery slope in action. Just because we
> allowed the gn build system to be added previously, does not mean that we
> should allow a new build system now. And forbidding this build system now
> does not mean that we must kick gn out of the repo.
>

> We should accept or reject Bazel on its merits alone, and not based on
> historical precedent.

I don't entirely agree - I think it's worth asking whether there's
significant differences between this and previous choices. Precedent has
bearing to me - "slippery slope" is a fallacy that if we allow A we must
allow B, specifically when B does not follow from A. That we allow gn
doesn't necessarily mean we have to allow all build systems, or that we
have to allow Bazel - they are different, but are they different in
significant ways that matter I think is the question.

I think relevant questions to ask to avoid rehashing the same decisions
would be:

What problems do you/we find with the gn integration, that we could learn
from to avoid making similar mistakes?
Have there been problems/costs to the community with the gn integration
that we'd like to avoid incurring more of?
Otherwise, are there things that make Bazel integration different from gn
that might make it worse/different in terms of costs to the community?