[llvm-dev] Contributing Bazel BUILD files similar to gn

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 16:11:27 PDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 19:16, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I /believe/ the idea is that, like gn, there are folks maintaining these
>> build systems out of tree anyway - and having them in tree makes it easier
>> to coordinate that effort, with the express intent of not burdening the
>> general community with their upkeep (like gn currently - the idea is that
>> there's no burden on developers to update gn build files (& consequently
>> bazel build files)).
>>

> Perhaps the initial assumption about my concerns weren't well articulated.
>
> I get that those files would be "additional" and other developers won't
> need to care much about them.
>
> But what happens when people join the project with experience in Bazel
> and, instead of building pure LLVM with CMake, they start using Bazel for
> everything, just because they're used to it?

Didn't the community already go through this exact discussion when gn was
added?  Let me ask a different question.  If gn support was permitted, on
what grounds should we refuse a different parallel build system?  Either we
should allow people to contribute build systems upstream that they wish to
maintain, or we should keep every buidl system other than CMake out of the
tree.