[llvm-dev] Does poison add implicit "definedness" under the hood ?

Juneyoung Lee via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 29 10:49:20 PDT 2020

Okay, previously I was assuming that P has two kinds of additions (trapping
add & silent add).
Maybe this isn't true, and P always traps when overflow happens? I hope my
understanding is correct now.

There is `add` without nsw in IR, and the backend should still put overflow
check when lowering it.
If `add nsw` raises UB, dropping `nsw` from `add` will make the instruction
more costly, so optimizations that drop nsw should be done more carefully.

If we keep `add nsw` poison, lowering `add nsw` needs check, but the
generated code is slightly different from `add`:

// Assume that we're lowering `z = add nsw x, y` in IR into P's assembly
if (x + y overflows)
  z = garbage value; // the backend can choose which value to put here
else
  z = x + y; // never traps

In case of `add x, y` without nsw, z should be 2's complement otherwise.

In perspective of optimizations, `add nsw` is still different from `add`
because it allows simplifying more expressions using arithmetic properties.
But, dropping nsw will make the instruction expensive (as the UB case), so
it should be carefully done as well.

If clang explicitly inserts the overflow check in IR (either in if or
llvm.assume), I think that can be a good hint for code generation.
Code motion of adds should be more carefully done though, because the hint
might be missed.

Juneyoung