[llvm-dev] [Proposal][Debuginfo] dsymutil-like tool for ELF.

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 27 15:49:16 PDT 2020

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 12:34 PM Alexey Lapshin <avl.lapshin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> because cross-CU references can mean that when you figure out a new layout
>> for CU5 (because it has a duplicate type definition of something in CU1)
>> then you might have to touch CU4 that had an absolute/cross-CU forward
>> reference to CU5. Once you've got such a fixup pass (if dsymutil already
>> has one? Which, like I said, I'm confused why it would have one/that
>> doesn't match my very vague understanding) then I think you could make
>> dsymutil work on a per-CU basis streaming things out, then fixing up a few
>> offsets.
>>
>> When dsymutil deduplicates types it changes local CU reference into
>> inter-CU reference(so that CU2(next) could reference type definition from
>> CU1(prev)). To do this change it does not need to do any fixups currently.
>>
>> When dsymutil meets already existed(located in the input object file)
>> inter-CU reference pointing into the CU which has not been processed
>> yet(and then its offset is unknown) it marks it as "forward reference" and
>> patches later during additional pass "fixup forward references" at a time
>> when offsets are known.
>>
> OK, so limited 2 pass system. (does it do that second pass once at the end
> of the whole dsymutil run, or at the end of each input file? (so if an
> input file has two CUs and the first CU references a type in the second CU
> - it could write the first CU with a "forward reference", then write the
> second CU, then fixup the forward reference - and then go on to the next
> file and its CUs - this could improve performance by touching recently used
> memory/disk pages only, rather than going all the way back to the start
> later on when those pages have become cold)
>
> yes, It does it in the end of each input file.
>

>> If CUs would be processed in parallel their offsets would not be known at
>> the moment when local type reference would be changed into inter-CU
>> reference. So we would need to do the same fix-up processing for all
>> references to the types like we already do for other inter-CU references.
>>
> Yeah - though the existence of this second "fixup forward references"
> system - yeah, could just use it much more generally as you say. Not an
> extra pass, just the existing second pass but having way more fixups to
> fixup in that pass.
>
> If we would be able to change the algorithm in such way :
>
> 1. analyse all CUs.
> 2. clone all CUs.
>
> Then we could create a merged type table(artificial CU containing types)
> during step1.
> If that type table would be written first, then all following CUs could
> use known offsets
> to the types and we would not need additional fix-up processing for type
> references.
> It would still be necessary to fix-up other inter-CU references. But it
> would not be necessary
> to fix-up type references (which constitute the vast majority).

To me, that sounds more expensive than the fixup forward references pass.

>> Without loading all CU into the memory it would require two passes
>>> solution. First to analyze
>>> which part of DWARF relates to live code and then second pass to
>>> generate the result.
>>>
>> Not sure it'd require any more second pass than a "fixup" pass, which it
>> sounds like you're saying it already has?
>>
>> It looks like it would need an additional pass to process inter-CU
>> references(existed in incoming file) if we do not want to load all CUs into
>> memory.
>>
> Usually inter-CU references aren't used, except in LTO - and in LTO all
> the DWARF deduplication and function discarding is already done by the IR
> linker anyway. (ThinLTO is a bit different, but really we'd be better off
> teaching it the extra tricks anyway (some can't be fixed in ThinLTO - like
> emitting a "Home" definition of an inline function, only to find out other
> ThinLTO backend/shards managed to optimize away all uses of the function...
> so some cleanup may be useful there)). It might be possible to do a more
> dynamic/rolling cache - keep only the CUs with unresolved cross-CU
> references alive and only keep them alive until their cross-CU references
> are found/marked alive. This should make things no worse than the
> traditional dsymutil case - since cross-CU references are only
> effective/generally used within a single object file (it's possible to
> create relocations for them into other files - but I know LLVM doesn't
> currently do this and I don't think GCC does it) with multiple CUs anyway -
> so at most you'd keep all the CUs from a single original input file alive
> together.
>
> But, since it is a DWARF documented case the tool should be ready for such
> case(when inter-CU
> references are heavily used).

Sure - but by implementing a CU liveness window like that (keeping CUs live
only so long as they need to be rather than an all-or-nothing approach)
only especially quirky inputs would hit the worst case while the more
normal inputs could perform better.

> Moreover, llvm-dwarfutil would be the tool producing
> exactly such situation. The resulting file(produced by llvm-dwarfutil)
> would contain a lot of
> inter-CU references. Probably, there is no practical reasons to apply
> llvm-dwarfutil to the same
> file twice but it would be a good test for the tool.

It'd be a good stress test, but not necessarily something that would need
to perform the best because it wouldn't be a common use case.

> Generally, I think we should not assume that inter-CU references would be
> used in a limited way.
>
> Anyway, if this scheme:
>
> 1. analyse all CUs.
> 2. clone all CUs.
>
> would work slow then we would need to continue with one-pass solution and
> not support complex closely coupled inputs.

yeah, certainly seeing the data/experiments will be interesting, if you end
up implementing some different strategies, etc.

I guess one possibility for parallel generation could be something more
like Microsoft's approach with a central debug info server that compilers
communicate with - not that exact model, I mean, but if you've got parallel
threads generating reduced DWARF into separate object files - they could
communicate with a single thread responsible for type emission - the type
emitter would be given types from the separate threads and compute their
size, queue them up to be streamed out to the type CU (& keep the source CU
alive until that work was done) - such a central type emitter could quickly
determine the size of the type to be emitted and compute future type
offsets (eg: if 5 types were in the queue, it could've figured out the
offset of those types already) to answer type offset queries quickly and
unblock the parallel threads to continue emitting their CUs containing type