[llvm-dev] 32-bit Architectures no longer tested by any buildbots causing bitrot

Diana Picus via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 21 03:42:55 PDT 2020

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 01:25, Luke Benes via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> While using a raspberry pi 4 for a project, I've discovered 2 recent regressions caused by the assumption that the target would be 64-bit. In both cases, the developers noted that they missed the error because none of the buildbots had picked it up.
>
> I was able to quickly confirm that both issues were related to the size of pointer types by spooling up a Debian i686 iso and building clang on it.  Could we add either an i686 or armhf buildbot to avoid this class of bug creeping into the code base?

Is this building *just* clang, without any other subprojects? That
would be very strange, since at least the armv7 bots should have
caught the regressions (unless they were already red when the
regressions were introduced, and then nobody got pinged). If the
regressions were in mlir, then that is expected, since we do not build
mlir on armv7 (or any other 32-bit platform, IIUC). I have asked if
there is interest for this and nobody said anything [1].

Cheers,
Diana

[1] https://llvm.discourse.group/t/mlir-on-armv7/1596