[llvm-dev] Manipulating DAGs in TableGen

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 12 10:46:19 PDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 7:37 PM Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
<paul at windfall.com> wrote:
> I included the ability to get/set an operand by name because I thought it would be easier to copy+modify an existing DAG by specifying the name of the operand you want to replace rather than having to remember its position. For example, if you want to replace the first source, isn't it easier to specify $src than remember it's the second operand?

My point is precisely that the $names don't work that way. Your
reasoning would be valid if the $names were function/operator argument
names, like in programming languages where you can pass function
arguments based on their order but also by naming them (e.g.
"functionName(argName=x, otherArgName=y)"). However, this is _not_ how
$names work!

Their most prominent application is for instruction selection pattern
matching, e.g. taken at random from AMDGPU/SOPInstructions.td:

def : GCNPat <
  (i32 (smax i32:$x, (i32 (ineg i32:$x)))),
  (S_ABS_I32 SReg_32:$x)
>;

The $x is _not_ the name of the argument to smax, ineg, or S_ABS_I32.
For example, if you look at how S_ABS_I32 is defined, you'll see that
its input operand is called $src0.

Instead, the name allows us to tie three locations in the DAG together
for purposes of pattern matching. The name is only meaningful in the
context of this pattern. You could substitute $x by $y or $whatever
without changing the meaning of the DAG.

That the name is the name of an operator argument is an understandable
misunderstanding, but it _is_ a misunderstanding. If you were to add
that particular feature, you would encourage this misunderstanding
even more.

Cheers,
Nicolai

--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.