[llvm-dev] [RFC] Backend for Motorola 6800 series CPU (M68k)

antlists via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 10 15:04:21 PDT 2020

On 01/10/2020 10:38, Simon Pilgrim via llvm-dev wrote:
> Its awesome to see so much progress on this!
>
> A very minor question - why is it called M680x0 and not M68K given
> that's what the target arch/triple is and how its usually referred to?
>
> Sorry for the bikeshedding....

Because it came in multiple versions? M68K expands to M68000, which was
the original chip. I think the most popular version was the M68040, so
M680x0 is unambiguously the family of chips - M68K can mean either the
original, or the family. I've always known the family as M680x0.

Just another case where what people say and what they mean isn't
necessarily the same, or clear ...

Cheers,
Wol