[llvm-dev] [RFC] Tooling for parsing and symbolication of Sanitizer reports

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 6 18:31:39 PDT 2020

My 2c would be to push back a bit more on the "let's not have a machine
readable format, but instead parse the human readable format" - it seems
like that's going to make the human readable format/parsing fairly
brittle/hard to change (I mean, having the parser in tree will help, for
sure). It'd be interesting to know more about what problems the valgrind
XML format have had and how/whether different solutions would address/avoid
those problems. Also might be good to hear about how other tools are
parsing the output - whether or not/how they might benefit if it were
machine readable to begin with.

But, yeah, if that's the direction - having an in-tree tool with fairly
narrow uses could be nice. One action to convert human readable reports to
json, another to symbolize such a report, a simple tool to render the
(symbolized or not) data back into human readable form - then sets it up
for other tools to consume that json and, say, render it in a GUI, perform
other diagnostics/analysis on the report, etc.