[llvm-dev] PSLP: Padded SLP Automatic Vectorization

Vasileios Porpodas via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 2 13:57:29 PDT 2020

Hi,

Some of the PSLP functionality was added to the SLP vectorizer with the
support for vectorizing alternate sequences several years ago. So some
of the most common patterns, like bundles of alternating add-subs, are
already being taken care of by the current SLP pass. However, it won't
do the more sophisticated padding across graphs that PSLP does.

There is indeed some overlap between VW-SLP and PSLP since they are both
trying to form isomorphic graphs out of non-isomorphic code. But each
one works better in different cases, so they complement each other.

For example, let's say you are in the middle of vectorizing 4-wide and
you encounter opcodes like this: [A, A, B, B].
Then you could either vectorize this with:
1. Padding the lanes and emitting shuffles (PSLP-style), or
2. Falling back to 2-way vectorization like in VW-SLP.
Determining which one is better depends on the rest of the code.
If the rest of the code is 4-wide isomorphic, then the PSLP option is
better, if it is 2-wide isomorphic then the VW-SLP option is better.

As it is mentioned in the paper, the current SLP pass can change the
vector-width but it cannot do so in all cases. The main focus of the
VW-SLP paper is to highlight some of these cases and show a design for
the SLP pass where width switching is done in a more complete way.

Performance fluctuates a lot as the compiler changes, so it is hard to
tell what to expect from applying either of these techniques to the
current snapshot.

Regards,
Vasileios