[llvm-dev] Patch attribution

Petr Hosek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 24 17:55:17 PST 2020

The problem with using Git author is that buildbot will send emails on
failure to the author rather than the committer which is undesirable
because authors usually don't have committer access (otherwise they'd
commit the change themselves) and cannot revert the change.

I raised this in
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-January/138838.html and it
was pointed out that addressing this is infeasible in buildbot 0.8.5 but
might be possible after we upgrade to 2.4.0 or newer. Now that buildbot has
been upgraded, we should look into it again. Until this issue is addressed,
I'd still recommend using the "Patch by" approach.