[llvm-dev] wasteful cmake defaults

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 20 15:16:16 PST 2020

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM Tom Stellard via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 11/20/20 2:44 PM, Michael Kruse via llvm-dev wrote:
> > Am Fr., 20. Nov. 2020 um 13:23 Uhr schrieb Philip Reames via llvm-dev
> > <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
> >> Personally, I think we should either a) change the defaults or b) put a
> prominent warning in the docs.
> >
> > https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#common-problems
> >
> > Should it be more prominent?
> >

> I don't think having this documented is all that helpful.  I know that
> when I build a new project, if I see it has cmake, I just do cmake -G
> Ninja && ninja and don't bother reading the docs.
>
> I think it would make the most sense to change the default to be
> Release+Asserts, because this is the most likely configuration to work
> on the average system.

Can you expand on why release+asserts and not just release?
I can imagine folks just wanting to try clang out of the box and finding it
"slow" because they don't know that assertions have to be disabled
explicitly for example.
Of course developers have to opt-in assertions, but they also have to think
about opting in Debug info and sanitizers.

--
Mehdi