[llvm-dev] wasteful cmake defaults

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 20 12:05:33 PST 2020

On 11/20/20 2:44 PM, Michael Kruse via llvm-dev wrote:
> Am Fr., 20. Nov. 2020 um 13:23 Uhr schrieb Philip Reames via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
>> Personally, I think we should either a) change the defaults or b) put a prominent warning in the docs.
>
> https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#common-problems
>
> Should it be more prominent?

I don't think having this documented is all that helpful.  I know that
when I build a new project, if I see it has cmake, I just do cmake -G
Ninja && ninja and don't bother reading the docs.

I think it would make the most sense to change the default to be
Release+Asserts, because this is the most likely configuration to work
on the average system.

-Tom