[llvm-dev] TableGen 'code' type to be eliminated

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 20 11:04:49 PST 2020

At 11/20/2020 01:47 PM, Madhur Amilkanthwar wrote:
>What is the motivation to deprecate the type though?

The initial motivation was to make it easier for the all the string bang operators (e.g., !strconcat, !eq, !interleave) to support code. But then I started looking around and noticed that very few backends care about the distinction. In fact, for at least half the backends, they are checking for both StringInit and CodeInit and treating them the same.

Then I searched all the .td files for !cast<code>. There are no occurrences.

So it appears to be a nice simplification for TableGen, additional flexibility for .td files, and a positive change for backends.