[llvm-dev] Understanding CallInst::Create

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 19 07:15:37 PST 2020

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 14:24, Arnamoy Bhattacharyya via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I am working on porting a tool written for LLVM3.5 to LLVM10.  There
> used to be a call instruction with the signature
> static CallInst * Create (Value *F, Value *Actual, const Twine
> &NameStr="", Instruction *InsertBefore=0)
>
> Can anyone please explain what it supposed to do?  What was F and Actual?

I can only find anything like that in revision well before even 3.5.
There used to be a version with "Actual1" and "Actual2" as well so I
think it's probably just the (lone) function argument to pass. As in,
"I'm creating a call instruction for a function with some prototype,
and here's the actual argument I want passed".

Cheers.

Tim.