[llvm-dev] Work on DAG Isel for TableGen and compiler

Matt Arsenault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 18 11:08:12 PST 2020

> On Nov 18, 2020, at 13:19, Paul C. Anagnostopoulos via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I have been working on improvements to TableGen's DAG Isel matcher backend. This has led me to thinking about ways to speed up the compile-time interpreter of the instruction selection matcher table.
>
> Is this worth my time, given Fast Isel and the upcoming Global Isel selector?

GlobalISel’s matcher table is in need of more optimization work. I think it’s important to actually start shifting effort to working on GlobalISel. At the current rate we’ll never reach a point where we can really switch. GlobalISel is usable now, and I hate to see effort continuing on the legacy path.

-Matt