[llvm-dev] [LLD] Support DWARF64, debug_info "sorting"

Alexander Yermolovich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 18 10:34:43 PST 2020

My concern with using section type, is that it does modify ELF format spec, and can break various tools that rely on this information. This sems somewhat of a heavy handed approach to solving this problem.

Alternatively, if we do want to go with something more official then just doing it in a linker using first reloc, why not use sh_info? Seems like it's made for providing an extra information for each section_type. In this case .debug_*.

With it we have a current behavior of using names which as far as I can tell the default for figuring out debug sections. If producer provides this extra information the linker can improve layout to help with debug sections overflows, if producer doesn't provide this information, then it's a current behavior which also adheres to DWARF spec that says if DWARF32 and DWARF64 the onus is on the user.

Alex