[llvm-dev] [LLD] Support DWARF64, debug_info "sorting"

Pavel Labath via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 18 01:14:01 PST 2020

On 18/11/2020 09:51, James Henderson via llvm-dev wrote:
> I was thinking about whether I liked the section name idea myself. I
> think a slight refinement could be to have linkers combine .debug and
> .debug64 sections into one output section (in non -r links), so that end
> consumers (debuggers etc) don't have to worry about it.

I was just thinking about this as well, and I think that we should still
have linkers merge the .debug_ and .debug64 sections in the final links
(essentially replacing the section type-based matching in the original
proposal with section name-based matching).

It's true that the .debug64 names are not really conforming, but otoh,
the reason why the SHT_DWARF64 idea was conforming is that DWARF is very
hand-wavy when it comes to how it interacts with linkers and object file
formats.

pl