[llvm-dev] [RFC] Control Flow Sensitive AutoFDO (FS-AFDO)

Rong Xu via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 17 09:54:56 PST 2020

Hi all,

Here I include an RFC for control flow sensitive AutoFDO (FS-AFDO). This is
a joint work with David Li. Questions and feedback are welcome.

Thanks,

Rong

=============

[RFC] Control Flow Sensitive AutoFDO (FS-AFDO)

1. Motivation

AFDO profile is derived from PMU samples from running an earlier build
binary. PMU samples are indexed by the IP addresses. An offline tool uses
the debug line number to map PMU samples to the source line. The accuracy
of debug information is critical for AFDO performance. Thanks to the
continuous efforts from the community, we have fixed many debug info
related issues that affect AFDO.

One of the remaining areas that affects the profile accuracy is the
handling of duplicated code. Aggressive compiler optimizations can change
functions’ control flow significantly. The transformation can duplicate
branches in multiple places and new branches that do not exist in the
original source code might also be introduced. All these branches, even
though originated from the same source line, may have very different
behavior -- which is called (control) flow sensitivity.

Current AFDO handles the duplication in a pretty coarse grain way. When
AFDO sees samples with different IP addresses that map to the same source
line, it uses a max function to get the maximum number of samples and
attach to that line. From this prospective, current AFDO is not control
flow sensitive. Consider the following example:

  // Original code:

 for()

    Stmt1; // line 10

  // After a versioning optimization

  for() {

    if (cond1)

       stmt1;  // line 10, 100 samples, address: C1

    else if (cond2)

       stmt1;  // line 10, 80 samples, address: C2

    else

       stmt1;  // line 10, 20 samples, address: C3

  }

In the final binary, stmt1 is cloned 3 times by the versioning
optimization. The address C1, gets 100 samples, the address C2 gets 80
samples, and the address C3 gets 20 samples. When converting Perf samples
to AFDO profile, a max function is used for these samples as they have the
same source line. In the AFDO profile, we will have a sample entry of <10,
100>, which means we have a  sample value of 100 for line 10 of this
function.  We will not have branch information for cond1, cond2, as they do
not exist in the sample loading phase. The profile count for stmt1 is also
off the actual value (200 = 100 +80 + 20) by 50%.

In this work, we propose a method that maintains more precise AFDO profile
counts for the duplicated control flow.

2. FS-AFDO Designs

In this work, we don't aim to keep track of the transformations and make
the flow sensitivity available across the compilation pipelines. Rather, we
identify a set of target optimizations that can potentially benefit most
from a more precise profile. For each of such optimizations, we use a
helper pass to recompute the flow sensitive profile just before this pass.
When loading this profile, we will recompute the branch probability and
hopefully improve the optimization quality for that target pass.

The flow sensitivity in the profile is through a hierarchical discriminator
scheme that can better preserve flow information in the Perf profile.

2.1. Current Use of Discriminators

The AFDO profile contains a discriminator field whose goal is to
differentiate statements with the same line number in  the source code
(largely from MACRO expansions).

Discriminators were later expanded to get more accurate profile counts. It
is expanded to 3 components which can partially address the issue. The main
objective of that work was to get the correct profile count for the
unrolled (or vectorized) BBs.  The discriminator is divided into 3
components:

 * Base discriminator, assigned by AddDiscriminators

 * Duplication factor: used in loop unroll and loop vectorization (when
cloning the loop body). This factor will be multiplied by sample counts in
create_llvm_prof tool to get the count value before duplication.

* Copy Identifier: reserved by not currently used.

Duplication factor was explicitly assigned in loop unroll and loop
vectorization. Instruction cloning will copy the discriminator. All the
cloned instruction instances, other than inlining, loop unroll and
vectorization, have the same discriminator. In the create_llvm_prof tool,
when assigning the sample count value for <offset_to_func_head,
discriminator>, the max sample value among all the clones will be the
assigned value.

2.2 Hierarchical discriminators

In FS-AFDO, discriminator assigning happens multiple times -- conceptually,
one assignment for each optimization that can benefit from more precise FS
profile data (let’s call it a target optimization pass). The discriminator
is divided into multiple sections. Earlier passes have  the lower bits and
each instance of assigning access the bits in their sections only.

For example, there could be 3 rounds of discriminator assigning: the base
discriminator which corresponds to existing discriminator assigning,
discriminator for pass N, and discriminator for pass M.  Let’s assume each
round uses 4 bits. If the instruction Inst1 is from BB0 and it’s copied to
BB1, it will have a discriminator 0x1. If BB1:Inst1 is copied to BB2:intr2
before Pass N, this instruction will have a new discriminator of 0x11
associated with pass N. Similarly, each copy of Inst1 before Pass M will
have its own discriminators using bit 8 to bit 12.

When converting Perf samples to the AFDO profile, we will have the sample
count for each discriminator.  The AFDO profile loader reads all the
samples and masks out the bit used by later rounds. For example, when
bits. All the samples cloned from the same base discriminator will be
aggregated together. Profile loader for pass N will only check the first 8
bits of the discriminator and sum up all the samples with the same
discriminator bit 0 to bit 7.

2.3 Profile Mismatch

The above describes the ideal situation for loading the profile -- all the
discriminators in the Perf binary match the discriminator in optimized
build. In reality, the compilation for the optimized binary, with a new
profile, might perform different transformations (from the compilation of
the Perf binary). It can alter the program control flow for the downstream
passes, which leads to a discriminator mismatch.

If the mismatch happens, the profiling information will not be updated by
the SampleLoader to the affected BBs. They will inherit the profile
information (like branch probabilities) from the previous round of
SampleLoader.

The FS component in the discriminators basically uses a sequential number,
just like in the base discriminator. But to handle potential mismatch,  we
also encode the total number of new discriminators. This prevents the
misplacement of profile counts to a wrong code clone. There are limited
bits for each FS discriminator component.  We choose to use a hash value as
the FS discriminator. The hash function takes the following as the input:

 * the sequential number of the current clone,

 * the total number of the current clone.

A second measure to deal with mismatch is to use the profile coverage. We
summarize the samples used by SampleLoad for each function, and compare the
total samples in the profile. A warning is printed out if the coverage
(ratio of used samples and total sample) is lower than a threshold value.
In which case, the user should rebuild the Perf binary and collect the Perf
profile again.

2.4 Example of pass pipeline

Here is the one sample pass pipeline for AFDO + ThinLTO compilation.

// Pass Pipeline:

InsertBaseDiscrimator

SampleProfileLoader in FE

CM inline

SampleProfileLoader in BE

AddFSDiscriminator(kind_mbp)

FSProfileLoader(kind_mbp)

MachineBlockPlacement

AddFSDiscriminator(kind_branchfolding)

FSProfileLoader(kind_branchfolding)

BranchFoldingPass

…

AddFSDiscriminator(kind_final)

In the above pass pipeline. MachineBlockPlacement and BranchFoldingPass are
the two target optimization passes. MachineBlockPlacement can obviously be
benefited from more precise profile information. The tail merge in
BranchFoldPass can undo many unneeded tail duplications in
MachineBlockPlacment.

Note that we have a FS discriminator assigning pass at the final of
compilation pipeline. The reason is to assign a different discriminator for
each cloned instruction in the final binary. By doing this, we can get a
more precise profile for earlier passes by summing the counter values from
different discriminators.

3. A running example

The test program is shown as the following. We pay most attention to the
branch in line 5 and line 7 in function foo(). Inner loop at line 3 will be
fully unrolled after SampleProfileLoader. Outer loop at line 2 is intact by
the optimizer.

__attribute__((noinline)) int bar(int i){

  volatile int j;

  j = i;

 return j;

}

__attribute__((noinline)) void work(int i){

}

__attribute__((noinline)) void foo(){ // line 17 of unroll.c

  int i, j;

  for (j = 0; j < 48; j++)

    for (i = 0; i < 4; i++) {

      int ii = bar(i + j * 48);

      if (ii % 2)                   // line 22 of unroll.c

        work(ii * 2);

      if (ii % 4)                   // line 24 of unroll.c

        work(ii * 3);

    }

}

Current AFDO will produce the following profile:

foo:30387110:1606             void foo() {

 0:   1606                      int i, j;

 2.1: 83748                     for (j = 0; j < 48; j++) {

 4:   351836 bar:84932              int ii = bar(i + j * 48);

 5:   351836                        if (ii % 2)

 6:   351836 work:79741               work(ii * 2)

 7:   350420                        if (ii % 4)

 8:   338340 work:75287                work(ii * 3)

 10:  1302                     }

Function foo() entry sample count is 1606. Line 2.1 is the outer loop body
with a sample count of 83748. Line 4 to line 8 is inner loop body count.
It’s scaled by an unrolled multiplication discriminator of 4. This resulted
in a higher value of sample count: it uses the Max of 4 clones and
multiplies by 4.

Here is the FS AFDO profile. Basically it has a separated profile count for
each unrolled instructions.

foo:8722583:1597                  void foo() {

 0:       1597                      int i, j;

 2.1:     83694                     for (j = 0; j < 48; j++)

 4:       87205 bar:85542               int ii = bar(i + j * 48);

 4.8448:  82042 bar:82155               int ii = bar(i + j * 48);

 4.13312: 84795 bar:84802               int ii = bar(i + j * 48);

 4.13568: 87820 bar:87718               int ii = bar(i + j * 48);

 5:       87205                         if (ii % 2)

 5.8448:  82042                         if (ii % 2)

 5.13312: 79604                         if (ii %2)

 5.13568: 87820                         if (ii %2)

 6:       0                               work(ii * 2);

 6.8448:  0                               work(ii * 2);

 6.13312: 79604 work:79652                work(ii * 2);

 6.13568: 87820 work:90500                work(ii * 2);

 7:       87493                         if (ii %4)

 7.8448:  84624                         if (ii % 4)

 7.13312: 71942                         if (ii % 4)

 7.13568: 83552                         if (ii % 4)

 8:       0                               work(ii * 3);

 8.8448:  84624 work:87655                work(ii * 3);

 8.13312: 71942 work:75137                work(ii *3);

 8.13568: 83552 work:91223                work(ii *3);

 10:      1304                     }

Let’s look at line 6 and line 8. Each of which has 4 records. When we use
these records in SampleLoader, these 4 records will be combined into one
after masking out the bits: line 6 will have one record of

6: 167424 work: 170152

Line 8 will have one record:

8: 240118 work: 254015

Comparing the sample count in line 5 and 7, we can easily see that line 5
has ~50% taken and line 7 has ~75% taken. This is in contrast to the
current AFDO profile, where both lines have a 100% taken branch.

When we load the above profile before the MachineBlockPlacement pass, each
record will maintain its own instance. We can see that at line 5, two of
the branches have ~0% taken probability, while the rest two have ~100%
taken probability. For line 7, one branch has 0% taken probability, while
the reset three has ~100% taken probability. We will reset the branch
probabilities as shown in the following messages:

Set branch fs prob: MBB (1 -> 3): unroll.c:22:11 W=87820  0x00005f85 /
0x80000000 = 0.00% --> 0x80000000 / 0x80000000 = 100.00%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (1 -> 2): unroll.c:22:11 W=87820  0x7fffa07b /
0x80000000 = 100.00% --> 0x00000000 / 0x80000000 = 0.00%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (3 -> 5): unroll.c:24:11 W=87820  0x04a8dc00 /
0x80000000 = 3.64% --> 0x80000000 / 0x80000000 = 100.00%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (3 -> 4): unroll.c:24:11 W=87820  0x7b572400 /
0x80000000 = 96.36% --> 0x00000000 / 0x80000000 = 0.00%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (9 -> 11): unroll.c:22:11 W=87820  0x00005f85 /
0x80000000 = 0.00% --> 0x80000000 / 0x80000000 = 100.00%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (9 -> 10): unroll.c:22:11 W=87820  0x7fffa07b /
0x80000000 = 100.00% --> 0x00000000 / 0x80000000 = 0.00%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (15 -> 17): unroll.c:24:11 W=87820  0x04a8dc00 /
0x80000000 = 3.64% --> 0x17248215 / 0x80000000 = 18.08%

Set branch fs prob: MBB (15 -> 16): unroll.c:24:11 W=87820  0x7b572400 /
0x80000000 = 96.36% --> 0x68db7deb / 0x80000000 = 81.92%

4. Implementation in LLVM

4.1 AFDO profile data format

The AFDO profile format remains largely the same. Samples could be splitted
into multiple parts with different discriminator copy components.
SampleLoader will aggregate the samples dynamically when reading the AFDO
profile based on the discriminator masks. Current discriminator encoding
will be removed and related code in the compiler will be removed.

The hierarchical discriminator in FS-AFDO captures most of the cases of
multiplication discriminator in currenting encoding scheme. As a matter of
fact, the resulting count values are usually more precise as each
individual discriminator may have different count values. There is one
exception: when the unrolling body has a single BB. FS-AFDO will have the
correct sample count after unrolling as all the instructions residing in
the same BB. In our prototype implementation, we did not find this issue to
have a visible performance impact.

4.2 Compiler changes

4.2.1 Add two new CodeGen passes:

AddFSDiscriminatorsPass: adds flow sensitive discriminators.

FSProfileLoaderPass: read FS profile and set branch probabilities.

FSProfileLoadPass will reuse most of the IR level SampleProfileLoader
algorithm and heuristics, but we need to reimplement at Machine level. We
will not need to update branch metadata. We will change the branch
probabilities directly.

4.2.2 Enhance SampleProfileReader to handle FS discriminators.

Add a new field of MaskedBitFrom to SampleProfileReader. This is the lower
mask bit being used for this pass instance. For each profile loader, we
dynamically compute samples based on bit masks -- this is done in
readImpl() method where the masked discriminators are used to aggregate the
samples.

4.3 AutoFDO tool changes

The position type used in PositionCountMap and Callsite type is of type
uint32. It is divided into high 16 bits as file offset and lower 16 bits as
discriminator. This is probably OK for the current discriminators as they
are numbered sequentially.  But this would create too many clashes in FS
discriminators. We need to extend to uint64 for the position: a full 32-bit
for line number and full 32-bit for discriminators.

5. Experimental performance

A prototype was implemented and a performance test was done on critical
applications in Google.

Test binary:

(1) build the first round binary with an existing AFDO profile with
AddFSDiscriminator enabled.

(2) collect the PERF samples and convert them to the FS AFDO profile.

(3) build an optimized binary using the FSAFDO profile from step (2).

Base binary:

(1) build the first round binary with an existing AFDO profile

(2) collect the PERF samples and convert them to the AFDO profile.

(3) build an optimized binary using profile from step (2).

Run time performance:

The test binary shows 0.9% to 1.3% performance improvement over the base
binary.

Profile size:

Profile size is modestly increased. Using the Google benchmark as the
example, the profile size for the text form increased by 4% to 7% while the
binary form profile size increased by 5% to 8%.

Compiler time:

Prototype implementation shows about 10% increase of build time (measued by
the elapsed time which includes two extra FSAddDiscrimniator passes and one
extra FSProfileSampleLoader pass). Profile readings are not shared b/w
FSProfileSampleLoader and current ProfileSampleLoader. We expect a smaller
compiler time increase with better data structures that share a profile
loader.