[llvm-dev] [LLD] Support DWARF64, debug_info "sorting"

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 17 09:20:16 PST 2020

This is a problem only if the .debug_str section *by itself* exceeds 4GB;
are we anticipating that will happen IRL?  The section is just a string
section, by itself it has no 32/64 format.

If the .debug_str section *by itself* exceeds 4GB, then yes any string
with a 32-bit reference to it must be in the first 4GB.  Strings that
have only 64-bit references to them can be sorted to the end of the
section, if necessary.  I wouldn't think anyone guarantees or cares
about the order of strings within a string section.

But I think this would be the very last thing to care about, with regard
to DWARF-64 concerns.
--paulr