[llvm-dev] [Proposal] Introducing the concept of invalid costs to the IR cost model

Vineet Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 16 23:24:19 PST 2020

Hi David,

This would be a very useful upgrade to the cost model.

One thing I want to add is that we need to be mindful of the cases where
the cost is proportional (or inversely proportional) to the VF, for
instance in the
LoopVectorizationCostModel::selectVectorizationFactor(ElementCount
MaxVF), there is a point where expected cost is divided by the VF. I
believe there are other places where the instruction cost is dependent
on the actual number of elements in the vector. While this is not a
problem for fixed vectors, for scalable vectors we need to account for
the vscale component of the VF.  I guess using the polynomial type for
the base cost type might work.

Also, for scalable vectors, when making the cost based decision of
whether to vectorize or not, we will need to consider the special case
of comparing the scalable vectorization cost with the scalar loop cost,
which is considered to be a fixed vector cost of VF=1. A simple solution
might be to always assume that for scalable vectors, vectorization is
always beneficial. Another option might be to assume that the vscale
value is always at least 2, and compare the cost with the scalar loop
based on that.

Thanks and Regards,

Vineet

http://bsc.es/disclaimer