[llvm-dev] RFC: [SmallVector] Adding SVec<T> and Vec<T> convenience wrappers.

Chris Tetreault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 16 16:38:55 PST 2020

I appreciate the work you’ve done on this. My impression is that the thought process that goes into picking the size parameter is something like “Uhh… Uhh… I guess 4 is good?”, so doing work to formalize this is good. I also think that people are likely reluctant to use `SmallVector<T, 0>`.  That said, I don’t think adding new types is useful.

I think `SmallVector` should just get a default size that is computed as `SVec`’s default size parameter is. Honestly, I’m unconcerned that anybody would “forget” to populate the size parameter. I really feel like any value that isn’t backed by hard data is unlikely to be better than the result of ` calculateSVecInlineElements<T>()`, and should be questioned in code review given the new heuristic you’ve added.

In short, I think that `SmallVector` should get a default size, and that the documentation should become something to the effect of “SmallVector should be preferred to std::vector unless you have a good reason to use the stl container. (api interop?). The default size for SmallVector has been chosen to be reasonable for most use cases. If you have evidence that shows the default is not optimal for your use case you can populate it with a more suitable value.”

Again, thanks for working on this. I’m looking forward to the day when I don’t have to pick a number out of my backside to put in that parameter.

Thanks,
   Christopher Tetreault