[llvm-dev] TableGen -time-regions option

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 13 19:52:45 PST 2020

Hi Paul,

I'm rather late to the thread but I added the existing -time-regions option when I was debugging a particularly nasty perf problem in TableGen. I really only use it when we have a perf problem downstream.

The main thing I was getting out of it was the ability to annotate periods of time in Xcode Instruments just by adding a NamedRegionTimer to the right function/block (see https://reviews.llvm.org/rGe1414d176048c1f24fc3f54bb923fb48a2b985a3). That helped me track down the work that was taking the time and let me filter out the noise from elsewhere so I could look at the relevant memory allocations+churn. Feel free to change it but I'd like to keep that Instruments integration if we can as I'm sure we'll hit another perf problem sooner or later.