[llvm-dev] [LLD] Support DWARF64, debug_info "sorting"

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 13 11:17:00 PST 2020

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM Fāng-ruì Sòng <maskray at google.com> wrote:

> I got replies from Nick Clifton and Michael Matz:
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2020-November/114116.html
> (and its reply).
> I have mentioned (a) the difficulty of the
> detecting-DWARF64-by-first-relocation approach and (b) the section
> type approach  in my reply there
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2020-November/114125.html
>
> (a) My prototype has made me feel uneasy with this approach.
>
> <quote>
> In DWARF v4 or if .debug_str_offset is not used, it is a problem. A
> heuristic is: if an input section in a file is marked DWARF64, we mark
> all other .debug_* DWARF64. This makes me feel a bit uneasy because
> for an output section description
>
>    .debug_str 0 : { *(.debug_str) }
>
> Now the behavior of `*` (or, if we invent a `SORT_*` keyword) is also
> dependent on other output sections.
> </quote>
>
> (b)
> * It needs a section type (either a gABI one or a SHT_GNU_* in GNU
> ABI). Seeking for a gABI one is not that I think this is particularly
> related to gABI but that I don't want Solaris (which LLVM also
> supports) uses a different section type to unnecessarily cause
> friction on our implementation

If I'm understawding you correrctly you're suggesting the sorting
behavior would only be implemented if the input object file had some
new attributes in it designating which sections are debug info
sections?

I don't think that's a viable solution to the problem at hand, then -
if someone is able to update their toolchain and rebuild objects with
new attributes, they can probably update the build configuration of
those objects to build them with DWARF64 instead, avoiding the mixed
32/64 problem. I think the solution we're looking for would have to
work with existing precompiled object files using DWARF32 that are in
the wild today, without modification.