[llvm-dev] [LLD] Support DWARF64, debug_info "sorting"

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 11 00:55:07 PST 2020

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 05:41, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> +James for context too (always good to include the folks from the
> original threads for continuity)
>
> Yeah, my general attitude there was just twofold, one that the
> discussion had strayed fairly far from the review (so interested
> parties might not see it, both because it's a targeted review thread
> on the noisy llvm-commits, and because fo the title not having much
> connection to the discussion) and it seemed to be somewhat
> abstract/general - and there's a balance there. "We should do this
> because I need it" (we shouldn't be implementing features for
> especially niche use cases/if they don't generalize) isn't always a
> compelling motivation but "we should do this because someone might
> need it" isn't either (we shouldn't be implementing features that have
> no users).
>
> The major drawback in sorting, is the need to parse DWARF, even a
> little bit of it (only the first 4 bytes of a section to tell which
> version it is - first 12 if you want to be able to jump over
> contributions and check /all/ contributions coming from a given input
> object file (it might contain a combination of DWARFv4 and DWARFv5)
> and then the hairy uncertainty of which sections to check (do you
> check them all? well, all the ones with length prefixes that
> communicate DWARF32/64 - some sections don't
> (debug_ranges/loc/str/macro for instance, if I recall correctly)...
> and if something has some 4 and 5, does it get sorted to the start? I
> guess so.
>
> I assume this comment is meant to say DWARF32/DWARF64, not DWARFv4 and
DWARFv5, as the DWARF version (as opposed to the 32/64 bit style) is
irrelevant to this, I believe, at least for the current known DWARF
standards. Whilst the majority of objects will only have a single CU in
them, there will be exceptions (LTO-generated objects, -r merged objects
etc), so we do need to consider this approach. Mixtures would certainly be
possible, and there's no guarantee the CUs would be in a nice order with
32-bit blocks before 64-bit blocks. If I follow this to its full
conclusion, you could potentially end up with a single .debug_info
(.debug_line, .debug_rnglists etc) input section with a mixture of
DWARF32/DWARF64 sub-sections, which, if following the reordering approach,
the linker might have to split up internally in order to rearrange (aside -
there's some interesting crossover with ideas I've been considering
regarding the Fragmented DWARF topic discussed elsewhere). Maybe the
solution here would be to change producers to produce separate .debug_info
sections containing DWARF32 and DWARF64. This would require other tools,
like llvm-dwarfdump, to be updated too to handle multiple input .debug_info
sections.

I used the -u option more as an example that it might be possible to get
things to work the way we want without needing to have the linker do the
work. The linker currently has a --symbol-ordering-file option which can be
used to request an order for the specified list of symbols. The linker does
this by rearranging the input sections to get as close as it can to the
requested order. We could maybe implement the same on a file/section basis.
It would avoid needing to read the sections themselves, but doesn't solve
the "what to do about mixed single input" case directly (though might allow
the user to dodge the decision at least).

Other ideas I had involved changing the section header properties.
Currently DWARF sections are all SHT_PROGBITS, but we could change that to
e.g. SHT_DWARF_32 or similar, and/or use the sh_info field to contain a
value that would indicate the 32/64 bit nature. I'm not convinced by these
ideas though, as a) I don't know if it translates well to other non-ELF
formats, and b) we can't really control the producers of DWARF at this
stage to conform.

It would be nice if there was a solution that could be consistently applied
across all build systems, linkers and DWARF producers. I don't have one as
yet though.