[llvm-dev] Building an LLVM cross-compiler

Martin Storsjö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 10 12:59:07 PST 2020

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020, Vlad Ivanov via llvm-dev wrote:

> Just a note about this:
>
>> I like this.  I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of these ideas to
>> play with.  C_COMPILER_WORKS is something I've never heard of.
>
> I'm also working on building a clang-based toolchain from scratch.
> To avoid CMake bailing out when a binary can't be linked, I use:
>
> -DCMAKE_TRY_COMPILE_TARGET_TYPE=STATIC_LIBRARY

Oh, right, that's the one - I remembered that there was a more proper
cmake option to use, but I didn't find it when I sent the previous mail.

Yeah, that option probably is more correct than CMAKE_C_COMPILER_WORKS. We
set it already in libunwind/CMakeLists.txt, I guess we should set it in a
few more places, at least compiler-rt/lib/builtins/CMakeLists.txt.

// Martin