[llvm-dev] [RFC] FileCheck: (dis)allowing unused prefixes

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 10 10:29:15 PST 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 7:55 AM James Henderson via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I think David Blaikie already touched on it - it leaves noise in the tests that isn't immediately clear why it is present. Individuals are more likely to therefore ignore it. Test noise should be kept to a minimum, as it a) obfuscates what's important and b) might get copied over when people want to create a new test based on an existing one.

Yeah, that. My main concern was/is that if it's a bit unclear why the
flag is there, it might make it harder to cleanup in the future -
going from something that looks like it could be accidental (unused
prefixes) to something then with an explicit statement of intent to
use unused prefixes (adding a flag to ask for that behavior) seems
like it'd make the test harder to read and less likely the unused
prefixes would be cleaned up because the intentional flag would tell a
reader that it's there for a reason. Making it really clear (through a
really explicit flag name or a comment or whatever) that the flag is
there automatically/the unused prefixes may quite likely be
unintentional would be important if we automatically apply the flag.