[llvm-dev] How to find the root causes of compiler bugs in practice?

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 9 06:24:33 PST 2020

I skimmed the first paper.  I’m assuming they picked mis-compile bugs (bad code generation).  It looks like a technique to triangulate on the likely buggy module by mutating the example code provided with a bug report, and comparing coverage traces for “good” and “bad” sources.  It’s very black-box, assuming no diagnostic aids from the software under test, but that’s reasonable for an automated technique.

In my experience, many bugs have fairly obvious origins (at least in terms of likely source modules) to someone experienced in a given area.  But I could see this being a useful tool for bugs with less obvious origins, and certainly a lot less tedious than wading through lots of diagnostic output.  Also could be useful to people less familiar with LLVM, as one way to narrow down the search for a bug without needing to learn a lot about LLVM’s own diagnostic tools.

FTR, the paper says the benchmark and code are available at the project webpage: https://github.com/JunjieCheck/DiWi if anyone wants to try it out.
--paulr