[llvm-dev] [DebugInfo] A value-tracking variable location update

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 6 11:10:42 PST 2020

Awesome to read how it's coming along - I'm mostly aside from the
debug location work, but had just one or two clarifying questions

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:27 AM Jeremy Morse
<jeremy.morse.llvm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi debug-info folks,
>
> Time for another update on the variable location "instruction referencing"
> implementation I've been doing, see this RFC [0, 1] for background. It's now at
> the point where I'd call it "done" (as far as software ever is), and so it's a
> good time to look at what results it produces. And here are the
> scores-on-the-doors using llvm-locstats, on clang-3.4 RelWithDebInfo first in
> "normal" mode and then with -Xclang -fexperimental-debug-variable-locations.
> "normal":
>
>  =================================================
>      cov%           samples         percentage(~)
>  -------------------------------------------------
>    0%               765406               22%
>    (0%,10%)          45179                1%
>    [10%,20%)         51699                1%
>    [20%,30%)         52044                1%
>    [30%,40%)         46905                1%
>    [40%,50%)         48292                1%
>    [50%,60%)         61342                1%
>    [60%,70%)         58315                1%
>    [70%,80%)         69848                2%
>    [80%,90%)         81937                2%
>    [90%,100%)       101384                2%
>    100%            2032034               59%
>  =================================================
>  -the number of debug variables processed: 3414385
>  -PC ranges covered: 61%
>  -------------------------------------------------
>  -total availability: 64%
>  =================================================
>
> With instruction referencing:
>
>  =================================================
>      cov%           samples         percentage(~)
>  -------------------------------------------------
>    0%               751201               21%
>    (0%,10%)          40708                1%
>    [10%,20%)         44909                1%
>    [20%,30%)         47544                1%
>    [30%,40%)         41630                1%
>    [40%,50%)         42742                1%
>    [50%,60%)         56692                1%
>    [60%,70%)         53796                1%
>    [70%,80%)         64476                1%
>    [80%,90%)         73836                2%
>    [90%,100%)        74423                2%
>    100%            2123749               62%
>  =================================================
>  -the number of debug variables processed: 3415706
>  -PC ranges covered: 68%
>  -------------------------------------------------
>  -total availability: 64%
>  =================================================
>
> The first observation: a significant increase in the byte-coverage statistic,
> meaning that we're able to track variable locations for longer and across more
> code. This was one of the main aims of this work, having better tracking of
> the locations that we know. The increase of seven percentage points includes an
> additional two percentage points of entry-value locations. If we disable entry
> value production then the scope-bytes-covered statistic moves from 59% to 64%,

Was this meant to be "from 64% to 59%"?
How does that compare to the baseline no-entry-value number?

Could you give a quick summary of the distinction between "PC ranges
covered" and "total availability"?

> which is still a decent improvement.
>
> The next observation is that the ``total availability'' of variables hasn't
> changed. This isn't the fully story -- if you give an absolute name to every
> variable with a location in the clang binary, there are 6949 dropped locations
> and 22564 completely new locations, meaning roughly 1% of all variables in the
> program have changed, it's just hidden by the statistics rounding. More detail
> on the nature of the changes are below. I was hoping for more false locations
> to be dropped; it's quite likely that there are many more false locations
> dropped within variables that have more than one value, which aren't readily
> reflected in these statistics.
>
> A natural question is: are all these new locations wrong, and the dropped
> locations only dropped because of bugs? To address that, I picked 20 new
> locations and 20 dropped locations at random and analysed why they happened.
> The input samples can be found here [2], along with an llvm-reduce'd version of
> each IR file. I confirmed the reason for the new/dropped location in the
> reduced and original file, as llvm-reducing them can alter the reason why
> something is dropped or not. Of the new locations, we previously could not
> track the location because:
>  * 14 DBG_VALUEs come after the vreg operand is out of liveness and are dropped
>    by LiveDebugVariables.
>  * 2 DBG_VALUEs are out of liveness and dropped by RegisterCoalescing
>    out of conservativeness.
>  * 2 DBG_VALUEs that appear before their operand is defined. This is out of
>    liveness, instruction referencing saves them through preserving debug
>    use-before-defs.
>  * 2 DBG_VALUEs that are out of liveness after a branch, but the value is live
>    down the other branch path.
>
> All of these locations can be tracked with instruction referencing because
> liveness is not a consideration, only availability in physical registers. 19 of
> the new locations were correct, while one tracked the right value but picked
> the wrong location for it, which I've now got a patch for.
>
> For the dropped locations:
>  * 8 false locations are dropped, they used to refer to the wrong value because
>    of a failure in register coalescing, see the body of [3].

Would these issues ^ show up/be testable with Dexter?