[llvm-dev] How to find the root causes of compiler bugs in practice?

Zhide Zhou via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 6 06:16:13 PST 2020

Hi, developers,
Recently, I read two papers [1], [2] about finding the root causes of compiler bugs. However, I do not find any information in these paper about how compiler developers find the root causes of compiler bugs in practice. So I am curious whether these techniques are useful in practice. For my experience,  the outputs of compilers are always used to isolate the causes of compiler bugs, such as the IR after each pass or the backtrace.
I am a newbie for LLVM. So I am curious how developers of LLVM or GCC find the root causes of compiler bugs in practice.

Thanks!

[1] Junjie Chen, Jiaqi Han, Peiyi Sun, Lingming Zhang, Dan Hao, and Lu Zhang. 2019. Compiler bug isolation via effective witness test program generation. In Proceedings of the 2019 27th ACM Joint Meeting on European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE 2019). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 223–234. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3338906.3338957
[2] Junjie Chen, Haoyang Ma, Lingming Zhang, Enhanced Compiler Bug Isolation via Memoized Search, Proceedings of the 35th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering.