[llvm-dev] Loop-vectorizer prototype for the EPI Project based on the RISC-V Vector Extension (Scalable vectors)

Sjoerd Meijer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 5 11:16:45 PST 2020

For RISC-V V and VE being explicit about %evl is important for performance & correctness and that is what VP does. The get.active.lane.mask intrinsic is used as a hint for the MVE, SVE backends to use hardware tail-predication (the backends reverse engineer that hint by pattern matching for get.active.lane.mask in the mask parameter of "some" masked intrinsics). IMHO, it's more of a hot fix to get some tail-predication working quickly with the existing infrastructure. It is still useful by itself, eg the ExpandVPIntrinsic pass uses it to expand the %evl parameter in VP intrinsics for scalable vector types.
So I don't think that makes it a hot fix ??, but agreed with the general picture here.

VE uses VP-style SDNodes in the isel layer (upstream patch on Phabricator to follow soon-ish). We simply translate both VP and regular SIMD SDNodes into these custom SDNodes as an intermediate layer. Even the VE machine instructions still have an explicit %evl operand. We have a machine function pass that inserts code to re-configure the VL register in-between vector instructions that have a different %evl value (we had a poster on that at the LLVM US DevMtg '19). This isel strategy has been working well for us.

The goal is to teach LV, VPlan to emit VP intrinsics with a convenient builder class (VPBuilder in the reference patch).
Trying to remember how everything fits together here, but could get.active.lane.mask not create the %mask of the VP intrinsics? Or in other words, in the vectoriser, who's producing the %mask and %evl that is consumed by the VP intrinsics?

Cheers,
Sjoerd.