[llvm-dev] Why can't we devirtulize this?

Sameer Abu Asal via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 4 10:53:38 PST 2020

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 7:03 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pretty sure the inlined version works because the frontend devirtualizes
> (since the concrete type is known without any analysis)

I assume you are referring to  "devirt_bad_fixed", yes exactly this is
getting de-virted by clang. In fact I tried to remedy this in my code base
by making the "test" function a template over the input object to force
clang to see the types and de-virt safely.

The devirt_good however is being de-virtualized by Inst combine, that is
what I see from print-after-all.

- once that's not possible, the single call (or probably any non-looping
> chain of calls) can be devirtualized until a non-inline virtual call is hit
> - at that point the compiler can't see that the vtable pointer hasn't
> changed (this is a limitation of LLVM, not a limitation of C++ in general -
> C++ in general guarantees that the vtable pointer won't change over a
> virtual call - but it doesn't guarantee that it won't change at all (you
> can placement delete, placement new some other object, then reverse that
> before the function returns and that's valid)).

So IIUC, you are saying that because the bad case is in a loop, the first
call to the "method()" might result in changing the vtable pointer, so
every call after the first will have to go get the function pointer again?
That kind of explains what I am seeing here (https://godbolt.org/z/bvsbE7),
and what Hiroshi mentioned, the first peeled loop is devirtualized but not
the rest.

For example: https://godbolt.org/z/8zrhx8 - two calls to 'test' if
> 'sub::method' is not defined in this translation unit: First is
> devirtualized because the ctor is inline and the vtable pointer is seen
> from that, but then the compiler assumes the vtable pointer might've been
> modified by that call, so the second call is not devirtualized. If you make
> the ctor non-inline, you'll see both are indirect/not devirtualized.

Yep, I am not even trying to devirt something not fully inline-able :)